Thursday 19 June 2008

typography on youtube

For the most part, YouTube is what happens when people have too much time on their hands, but sometimes, you come across some really interesting home-made videos. A while back I read a blog (it might be by Empire magazine) on these odd videos that depict great scenes from films using only typography. As a graphic design student I absolutely loathed my typography classes, but I'm amazed at how creative some of these videos are. Some of my favourites:

Quentin Tarantino's films lend themselves very well to this sort of thing:


'Shouty Al' Pacino in the Devil's Advocate:


One of the great speeches from Patton:


All in all, Austin Powers: the Spy Who Shagged Me was utterly forgettable, except for this bit of dialogue:


Edit: original article which inspired this blog, alwayswatching.com's Great Scenes from TV and Film, Told Using Only Typography (and Sound)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those were really fun! I'd never given much consideration to typography, but I thought that yeah, it really does lend itself to good film soundbites/quotes!

vanina said...

tyopgraphy is so influenced by fashion and trends (just compare 1950s film posters to 1980s posters or today's blockbuster billboards, you won't find the same fonts), it can be deadly boring but i think it's great the way the letters come alive in these videos!